These are some of the items that the committee is reading as part of the research phase of their work
CITY OF VERGENNES
CITIZEN REVIEW BOARD
MAYORAL EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE
CHARGE TO THE COMMITTEE
June 15, 2020
At the regular meeting of the Vergennes City Council on June 9, 2020, the Council unanimously agreed to the formation of a Mayoral Committee to explore, define, and present a proposal to establish a Citizen Review Board, defined as follows:
A civilian police oversight agency, also known as citizen review board or civilian review board, is a body of civilians dedicated to reviewing and improving police officer conduct. These agencies are an implementation of citizen oversight.
This body is charged with addressing the following, specifically, and any other area the committee may deem appropriate.
- Is a Citizen Review Board necessary in Vergennes, and, if so, why.
- What are the benefits of police oversight?
- What are the features of an effective police oversight body?
- What are the steps involved in implementation?
- What are the qualifications for membership?
- What types of complaints should be accepted?
The committee should be prepared to present a written proposal within thirty (30) days of delivery of this charge to assist the City Council in decision making specifically regarding a Citizen Review Board.